Monday, April 7, 2008

"The idea of God has problems" for sinners

Today I caught a broadcast of the American Center for Justice on BOTT radio network, and Jay Sekulow was discussing a college student’s email. This college student is in an Intro to Philosophy course at a secular university, and her professor has created a class blog in which all students must participate. As I understood the broadcast (thought I didn’t catch the whole thing) the professor started the blog string with the statement “The idea of God has problems,” and I’m guessing that he wanted all the students to accent and show the problems or something. Weird. Anyway, knowing what I know now (because of course I didn’t back when I would’ve taken such a course), I tried to call in to share what I think she should do (which includes not dropping the class), but I was too late to get on the show – to the detriment of all. However, I tried to email Mr. Sekulow, and my email had to be confined to 50 words or less. MAN THAT IS REDICULOUSLY HARD TO DO. So, knowing that God has given me wisdom and experience to share, I requested that he come here to see my thoughts. I pray he does, because I humbly think my point of view on the prompt could really help this young lady defend and further the Faith. Here’s my full letter (before I chopped it to two sentences)…

Mr. SeKulow~

I am writing in response to the question posed by a listener today. A college student wrote you of her philosophy professor forcing a web discussion with “The idea of God has problems.” I hope I am correct in this, since I did not catch the entire broadcast. I am a recent grad of a secular university myself, and I know too well the affront our faith faces at this level by cynical professors and fellow students. However, the statement “The idea of God has problems” is not at all a declaration that one should denounce her faith, but on the contrary, I would argue that it is an excellent spring board for the gospel.

Now I don’t know what else the professor said or wrote to this student, but if this is the prompt for the discussion, I would love to encourage her to take it in this philosophical light: of course the idea of God causes problems, because the idea of something holy, perfect, and omniscient makes we people see that we are not those things (which is a huge problem for us, since we [especially philosophers] are so prone to think highly of ourselves). The very fact that we like to think well of ourselves (romantic views of human nature, etc.) brings us into conflict with something that so obviously shows us that not only are we not what we think we are, but we are also guilty of all kinds of evil and deserving of death and hell. The God Who is perfect likewise demands perfection (for why would He accept anything less?), and if there is one fact that Christianity and any other worldview can agree on, that fact is that there has never lived one perfect human being. Therefore no one can earn his way to God. Philosophically, there is no way for us to gain the only thing we need. Metaphorically, people are up a creek without a paddle.

BUT (the biggest but in history) that is not the end of the story, because that is where the goodness of God Himself steps in as the only perfect person who ever lived to earn the perfection we need so that He might switch us places (in God the Father’s righteous judgment) and to die the death we deserve. Therefore He saved us from what we deserve and has given us what we cannot possibly earn. What an amazing plan! However, salvation is only possible for those who can admit they cannot earn it on their own, and therefore “The idea of God is has problems” only for those who want to be their own God. Because those who claim to not believe in God really just don’t want to submit to anything other than themselves, and that for sure is a problem.

I don’t know if this young woman of the faith plans to stay in the class, but because it wasn’t long ago that I was in her shoes, I’d really like to help her out and encourage her to be a real light for Christ in this situation. I wish I knew then what I know now; I think it would be invaluable for her to hear (or in this case, read) my stance on the issue. I am only a 23 year old 8th grade English teacher, but I am a woman who desperately seeks after God and who also thoroughly enjoys discussion about things of God. I believe that I got into my car at the particular time I did today in order to be a help to this young lady, and I hope that you will forward my email to her, or give her my email.

Thank you so much for your time!

Soli Deo Gloria,

Ali Barnes
ali.barnes24@gmail.com

1 comment:

Asher Griffin said...

I would just tell her: "Christ didn't design His church to be started in a coffee shop full of Christians. He stuck it in the middle of a devastatingly corrupt and Hell-bound culture. Our fight starts in the middle and works outward in every direction. Stay in the course and display Christ's characteristics. They'll hate you until He opens their heart. But until then, it's our job to carry His cross. By suffering at the sake of His name, we're worshiping."

"Worship is the submission of all of our nature to God. It is the quickening of the conscience by his holiness; the nourishment of mind with his truth; the purifying of imagination by his beauty; the opening of the heart to his love; the surrender of will to his purpose -- all this gathered up in adoration, the most selfless emotion of which our nature is capable." ~William Temple