Thursday, May 29, 2008

Inquiry Journal

The homework for our Advanced Studies inservice meeting is to begin an inquiry journal where I investigate how I think and what about. Well, I think I've got a head start on this one, since that the primary purpose of this blog, but I'll give it a more stream-of-consciousness feel today.

The last few days I've been curious about my seeming intellectual backslide lately. As the temperature outside has been rising, my thinking trends have been lessening. I'm not sure if this data correlates, or if there are other factors weighing in, such as: exhaustion from the end of school (likely), distress of creating a summer school cirriculum about 5 days before classes begin, golf lessons, and tonight's dinner. Nevertheless, it seems that even though I (in theory) have more time now to spend reading and thinking deeply about important issues, I in reality am spending less. Thus, my quest for time begins. What is it that sucks all the minutes out of my day?

To be honest, time-stealers that can be removed are:
1. The Office - Chris and I have watched an episode (or four) per day lately, mostly just while doing dishes after dinner and starting whatever we're doing next (ie, facebook). I HATE getting sucked into shows! Solution: Take care of household tasks (laundry, cleaning, etc in order to kill two birds with one stone)
2. Facebook - though I'm not a junky like most, I do spend a few minutes too many creeping on the book. Solution: Get a life.
3. Working out - I need to find a more efficient way to keep myself a physical specimen. :) The solution I've already inacted is to read while engaging in cardio, which works out (unintended pun) splendidly. Another Solution: Don't eat so much ice cream, and then I won't have to work out so much.

What's weird is that I really don't do much else. I'm still sticking to my previous hypothesis - As the amount of time to spend increases, so does the amount of time wasted. So the question remains - Where does all the time go? And how do I get it back?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can start by not thinking about it so much?

"Worship is the submission of all of our nature to God. It is the quickening of the conscience by his holiness; the nourishment of mind with his truth; the purifying of imagination by his beauty; the opening of the heart to his love; the surrender of will to his purpose -- all this gathered up in adoration, the most selfless emotion of which our nature is capable." ~William Temple