Monday, May 19, 2008

One last note on Laz...

I meant to write this a while ago, but you know life - it just gets in the way of important things like blogging.

Probably the reason that the story of Jesus' resurrection of Lazarus is so dear to me is that it is this story that "saves" Raskonikov in Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment. The first time(s) I read this most masterful novel, I couldn't figure out why this murderer (Ras) becomes so obsessed with this section of scripture (that a girl-prostitute reads to him, but that's another matter) above all others. I think that Raskolnikov identifies with Lazarus because he knows that he's a dead-man walking due to his crime, and even more than that, he becomes increasingly guilt-stricken and tormented (hence, Punishment) because of his sin. What a solace for Rask to know that Christ raised a man completely and utterly dead, and therefore He could do the same with him.

Dostoevsky knew that this is the gospel incarnate (as so many of our modern-day emergents mis- and therefore over-use): Jesus, for His and the Father's glory, by His own will and strength, raises a dead man, who can do no good thing, to new life. Hallelujah!
When I studied the gospels and C & P more, I became more and more drawn to the parallels Dostoevsky creates between Rask and Laz, and I think, for me personally, greater familiarity with each has made the other more meaningful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a bit disorganized, but I hope that you can catch the thread, as it were. I am on the road an did not have time to write this all at once. You may have to work at understanding what I am trying to express:

I realize that what I am about to write is not the “point” or the most important part of the passage you have brought up. Certainly, I agree that no facet of the story of Lazarus eclipses the obvious display of Jesus display of His deity and accompanying power. However, as I like to do, I would like to point out the not so obvious – the frame on the picture He has painted for us on these pages of His Word.

I am struck by the contrast of belief and unbelief which surrounds this amazing show of Jesus' awesome power over death itself. I am increasingly faced by the incredible grip that both of these powers have over people who encountered Jesus.

“So what?” you might ask. A picture frame is there for a reason. Certainly, this story gives the faithful Calvinist concrete evidence that Jesus had authority over death itself, and proves that He could regenerate at least the physically dead without help or input from them. It also demonstrates that only the elect of God will believe, regard to what ever eyewitness evidence, irrefutable arguments, or spectacular miracles might assault their will and intellect. In fact, most of these similar miracle stories have a similar framing of Sovereign election wrapped around them

One chapter earlier in John, we are told that “Many believed in Him there” (John 10:42) in response to His displays of deity. Usually we think “Well, duh, the blind see, and the lame walk, of course He is the Only Son of God!”

If you actually saw a man raised from the dead, even a stinky-dead man, would you believe? Even if you saw him hopping out of the tomb, still in his mummy suit?
But not all would believe on Him, even when they are eyewitnesses of His unique power.

We can see that education, background, etc. do not determine who believes by the “Jews”, as John refers to them. Some would not, and indeed, could not. Jesus tells them why in the immediately previous chapter:
" Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father's name, these testify of Me. But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep.” (John 10:25-26)
And sure enough, their response shows that those in attendance came away with differing results:
“Therefore many of the Jews who came to Mary, and saw what He had done, believed in Him. But some of them went to the Pharisees and told them the things which Jesus had done. “ (John 11:45-46)
Alas, the universally truthful answer is, “Maybe, maybe not.” “It's not up to you.”

Just as Lazarus could only respond to Jesus' calling, so too may the onlookers respond in faith only if and when the Holy Spirit regenerates their dead spirit. The miracle was displayed for all. But God has mercy on whom he will have mercy, and grants the gift of faith based on his good pleasure not our rationalizations. I am so thankful that His grace does not depend upon my intellect, my good works, or my family background. I would be right there with the unbelievers, born and bred.

"Worship is the submission of all of our nature to God. It is the quickening of the conscience by his holiness; the nourishment of mind with his truth; the purifying of imagination by his beauty; the opening of the heart to his love; the surrender of will to his purpose -- all this gathered up in adoration, the most selfless emotion of which our nature is capable." ~William Temple