Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Jordan speaks against excuses

"Maybe it's my fault. Maybe I led you to believe it was easy, when it wasn't. Maybe I led you to believe that my highlights started on the freethrow line and not in the gym. Maybe I made you think that every shot I took was a game winner, that my game was built on flash and not fire. Maybe it's my fault that you didn't see that failure gave me strength, that my pain was my motivation. Maybe I led you to believe that basketball was a God-given gift and not something I worked for... every single day of my life. Maybe I destroyed the game, or maybe you're just making excuses." ~MJ

This video with Michael Jordan is such a good message, especially for today's youth. So many of the kids I've seen and taught have big dreams but think that great things just get handed over, not worked for. The whole "self esteem" movement tells people that they deserve everything and that they can do anything regardless of, well, anything others do or say. Jordan speaks what is true for not just athletics: to be the best, one must devote everything and give his all, all the time.

I want my students to "celebrate the struggle" of progress, to live life with a passion that embraces victory and defeat with grace, to use every moment to better themselves, and ultimately, to know the One who makes all worthwhile and that much sweeter.

3 comments:

Mr.A! said...

Great video...where did you get that? Thanks for the blog idea. Just another step to living up to your standard!

Reepicheep said...

I'm simultaneously disturbed, shocked, and confused all at the same time while laughing!

While not as entertaining or technologically impressive, check this out when you get the chance (and desire to be disturbed and shocked also)

http://reepicheep-ajf.blogspot.com/2008/01/bibles-great-commission.html

Reepicheep said...

Dang...I meant to post that on your Guitar Hero video...sorrry.

"Worship is the submission of all of our nature to God. It is the quickening of the conscience by his holiness; the nourishment of mind with his truth; the purifying of imagination by his beauty; the opening of the heart to his love; the surrender of will to his purpose -- all this gathered up in adoration, the most selfless emotion of which our nature is capable." ~William Temple