Saturday, August 26, 2017

Fermented Salsa!

Fermented salsa! **note: I tried a wide-angle lens and it totally jacked up the audio. But I still wanted to get this to you, so I had to lamely voice-over this whole thing. Sorry! ** Salsa is one the tastiest ways to eat lots of veggies (that I don't normally eat otherwise). To avoid the junk in store-bought brands and enjoy fresher and more local ingredients, make your own! Plus, fermenting allows the nutrients to become more bioavailable, and adds guthealthy probiotics, deeper flavor, and a fun fizz! 
For more benefits than I could ever articulate regarding fermentation, probiotics, and gut health, follow my fermenting mentor (or as I call him, my "fer-mentor") @jaredsprobiotics. His website www.jaredspropops.com is a huge source of all things digestion. His list of 75 fermented recipes is where I found this gem! 
Back to the salsa, if you don't have a food processor (or just want a hand workout) you can chop all these veggies. If you're not into whey (or if Miss Muffet are all yours), at least 2Tbsp salt should do the trick to ferment. Make sure to tightly seal the jar, and let it sit at room temp for at least 3 days to ferment. 
Otherwise, adjust this recipe to your supplies or heat-tolerance. Try it atop eggs or pulled chicken, or of course with your favorite chips or any Mexican dish!  πŸ’ƒπŸΌπŸ’ƒπŸΌπŸ’ƒπŸΌ



No comments:

"Worship is the submission of all of our nature to God. It is the quickening of the conscience by his holiness; the nourishment of mind with his truth; the purifying of imagination by his beauty; the opening of the heart to his love; the surrender of will to his purpose -- all this gathered up in adoration, the most selfless emotion of which our nature is capable." ~William Temple