Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Gospel According to Jesus

Wow... this is the best book on the gospel that I have ever read. Granted, I don't have the biggest theological bookshelf out there, but I truly give this book a standing ovation. John MacArthur spells out through scripture what this century has abandoned in the gospel: repentance. True repentance, given to a believer by the Holy Spirit opens the regenerate to see who Jesus Christ really is, how ugly of a sinner the person is, and that he must trust in Christ and surrender to Him in obedience. A professing Christian can be assured in his salvation not by a card he signed or an aisle he walked down, but by a turning from sin, a hatred of sin, and a passion for following and obeying Christ.

While church-shopping at college, I had an encounter with the pastor of the college-student-magnet-church during Sunday School. He was teaching from the gospel John about John the Baptist's message of repentance, which the pastor said only means "to believe." Even though it was my first Sunday in the church and I wasn't really quite sure if Sunday School was a discussion-format or a lecture, I raised my hand. "Sir, doesn't 'repent' mean 'to turn'?" I asked. "Well no," he explains, " the Greek word here means only to change your mind about something, thus believe." Now I was only 18, but give me a break, I grew up with decent teaching (see former blogs about my dad), so I asked him that if it's just an intellectual matter, why does Jesus tie all these actions to it (ie, forsake all others, deny yourself, sell everything you have and follow Him, etc)?

He gave me some high-falooting answer, I'm sure, but all I remember is how my face was on fire, sitting next to these college people I didn't know, arguing with the pastor. Believe it or not, confrontation used to scare the bageebies out of me (that's before I entered the blogosphere). Turns out, that pastor went to Dallas Theological Seminary, apparently a huge proponent of his stance on repentance. Charles Ryrie said that repentance is "'a false addition to faith" when made a condition for salvation, except 'when [repentance is] understood as a synonym for faith'" (177). Repentance = faith? As a grammarian, that's a little odd.

  • MacArthur rebuts with: "Repentence is not simply a mental activity; genuine repentance involves the intellect, emotions, and will [as Jesus uses the word in context]. Geerhardus Voswrote: 'Our Lord's idea of repentance is as profound an comprehensive as his conception of righteousness. Of the three words that are used in the Greek gospels to describe the process, one emphasizes the emotional element of regret, sorrow over the past evil course of life, metamelomai; Matt. 21:29-32; a second expresses reversal of the entire mental attitude, metanoeo [I think this is the one the pastor above was referring to], Matt.12:41; Luke 11:32; 15:7,10; the third denotes a change in the direction of life, one goal being substituted for another, epistrephomai; Matt.13:15 (and paralels); Luke 17:4; 22:32. Repentance is not limited to any single faculty of the mind: it engages the entire man, intellect, will and affections... again in the new life which follows repentance the absolute supremacy of God is the controlling principle. He who repents turns away form the service of mammon and self to the service of God" (180).
Too bad I couldn't quote all that back then when I needed it. Oh well, you live and learn, I guess. :) I'll try to write more on the issue later, as my mind is just overflowing with joy over it. But first, one of the main oppositions to "lordship salvation," as this idea is nowadays called, is that people deem repentance and sanctification (the process of a believer becoming more like Christ) a work, which if true, would make this idea salvation by works. Completely not a "work" of an individual by himself, for it is the Spirit who leads me to repentance. Repentance and faith are more or less two sides of the same coin in that they are both given to the new born at his new birth.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them" (Eph 2:8-10.

No comments:

"Worship is the submission of all of our nature to God. It is the quickening of the conscience by his holiness; the nourishment of mind with his truth; the purifying of imagination by his beauty; the opening of the heart to his love; the surrender of will to his purpose -- all this gathered up in adoration, the most selfless emotion of which our nature is capable." ~William Temple