Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Memoirs #5: Hike #3 - Twin Sisters


Friday, my last full day in Estes, Joy and I traveled up the 3.9 mi hike to the summit of Twin Sisters peak (all together now: awwwwww). The top was 11,280, I believe (I don't have my notes with me). The really funny thing about this hike was the fact that Joy was NOT at all excited about it. I really felt that I was dragging her along. We were engaged in great conversation most of the way, which made the steep incline a little more bearable and breathtaking (due to lack of oxygen more than emotion). However, Joy was a trooper, appeasing her guest in a semi-hardcore hike. :)
When we summitted, we noticed some clouds brewing, so we figured we needed to get down quickly. But we did not realize how quickly! When we were still about a mile out from the trailhead, the clouds openned up and drenched us in a downpour! We started high-tailing it out of there - striding bolders and fallen trees while giggling as water droplets the size of Frosted Mini Wheats pounded our eyeballs. When we finally got into her Jeep, I got video documentation of Joy's exclamation of how "HARDCORE" we are! Twin Sisters = priceless.
Due to the multiple hiking days within a short time span, coupled with wet socks due to rivers and rain and aging shoes, a massive blister formed on my heel. It's about the size of a nickel here. This thing is awesome, and it only got worse the next few days!!!

No comments:

"Worship is the submission of all of our nature to God. It is the quickening of the conscience by his holiness; the nourishment of mind with his truth; the purifying of imagination by his beauty; the opening of the heart to his love; the surrender of will to his purpose -- all this gathered up in adoration, the most selfless emotion of which our nature is capable." ~William Temple