Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Memoirs, part 3: Hike #1

Tuesday morning: Joy and I hiked from Bear Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park to three other lakes: Nymph (next picture), Dream (not pictured), and Emerald (3rd picture). The hike was a warm-up of sorts for me to acclimate. It was about 4 miles roundtrip and not incredibly steep, though I must admit that I got short of breath a few times.







Here's Joy in front of Nymph Lake. The lilypads on the lake were so cute that we decided that people probably thought fairies and nymphs lived in them.

Dream Lake was so calm that it reminded me of early-morning wakeboarding at the Country Club lake... glass. There were a lot of fly-fishers going after some trout, which was kind of cool.




Emerald Lake was incredible. It provided such a perfect reflection that it was difficult to distinguish where the water actually began! The water begins about where Joy's left shoulder is... bet you didn't know until I told you that!

Right now I'm enjoying a rootbeer shake (not float) Joy made me at Kind Coffee. She brought that out pretty much right after I finished the cookie she toasted for me. I've got to get out of here and walk around before she puts 10 pounds on me!

We're planning on a longer hike tomorrow afternoon... I'm loving it!

3 comments:

candy said...

WOW, Joy sure must have been hungry at the pizza place.LOL

TakaHik said...

Bear Lake is where your Mom left me as I went up over Flattop Mountain from there -- also one year ago!

You two Sisters should conquer Twin Sisters together! Aaaawwwwww!

AliGirl said...

mom- haha. The pic sure makes it look like that's her plate, huh? We actually devoured 2 of those pizzas between the two of us!

Takahik- we're actually considering flattop to hallot's peak (just south) for Friday. Who knows!

"Worship is the submission of all of our nature to God. It is the quickening of the conscience by his holiness; the nourishment of mind with his truth; the purifying of imagination by his beauty; the opening of the heart to his love; the surrender of will to his purpose -- all this gathered up in adoration, the most selfless emotion of which our nature is capable." ~William Temple