Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Memoirs, part 8: Lake Solitude, continued


There are no words that can do justice to the sunset on the back side of the Tetons. I was lucky to look up when Dad and I were setting up camp for the night. This is the west side of the Grand Teton (I'm pretty sure) in all its glory.

Wow.

Dad set up my hammock for camp; I had only tried sleeping in a hammock once, but this Hennessee Hammock was awesome! It opens up down the middle on bottom, so I had to get in my sleeping bag (pictured), hop over to the hammock, lift it up and put myself through the hole, sit down, lean back, and wriggle up in there. I truly felt like a catepiller entering the cacoon, though the morning did not bring forth the expected results from such a struggle. However, it was not too bad of a night, and we cooked eggs and oatmeal the next morning, and we were on our way!


This was one of the many waterfalls on the hike. It is just below Lake Solitude, as you can see via the sign sticking out of the snow. There was a lot of snow toward the top of our hike, which baffled me, since it was about 75 degrees in the sunshine.
In Estes, Joy had asked me whether I liked hiking up or down the mountain better. I've figured out that I like going up much better than coming down, though it would seem that going down is easier. Well, in a sense it is easier, but when you're going up, you have a lot of athletic-mindedness going for you. You're pushing toward a goal. You're telling yourself, "I'd better do this or else I'll look like an idiot." You can set mini-goals along the way. However, when you're coming back down, you just want to get the heck out of there, and it can't happen soon enough (which of course, makes it seem sooooooo much longer!). Not to mention that the blister on my heel that I mentioned in a previous blog was now up to the size of a bona fide quarter, red and orange, and swollen. I just wanted to run down that beast so I could take off my hiking boots and burn them!
Well, we did get down soon enough, and I'm debating donating my boots to the leather recycling bin. I video-taped the popping of the blister, but I'll have to wait till I get home to delight everyone with that!
This is a pic of the 'Mud House' where we're staying. The windows open up to the mountains (below), and the Jackson Hole Country Club is out the back door. This place is amazing!

I took this picture of the Grand Tetons at 6:25 this morning. I'm not sure if I got the timing right, but hopefully Chris can help me bring out the beauty in the photos when I get home! Did I mention that I love this place?!?
Looking the other direction, to the east of the Mud House is the 'Sleeping Indian.' The sun is peaking over his chest. His feet would be to the left side of the pic, and what you see are his arms crossed over his chest, his nose profile and headdress (as I'm sure all Indian chiefs slept that way!).
I'll get some good pictures of Jackson Hole (the town) tomorrow. Mom and I are going shopping while Dad does another hike without shoe-destroyer-Ali.
*Side note: I really miss you, Beeb! I wish more than anything you were here, and I can't wait till I see you again Thursday night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I take it you had a great time!(:

"Worship is the submission of all of our nature to God. It is the quickening of the conscience by his holiness; the nourishment of mind with his truth; the purifying of imagination by his beauty; the opening of the heart to his love; the surrender of will to his purpose -- all this gathered up in adoration, the most selfless emotion of which our nature is capable." ~William Temple